Thursday, February 3, 2011

23 Weeks

The days of wearing pre-pregnancy clothes are about to come to an end, I'm afraid. The shirts all seem to be getting shorter and shorter for some reason! Here's my newest bump picture, at 23 weeks, 3 days:
It's been another good week. Baby hasn't been quite as aggressive with his kicking this week, though. I still feel the kicking and punching, and I can still see it occassionally, but I think he just must have worn himself out last week. This week, there's been more rolling than kicking. I told David tonight that it feels like what I would imagine it would be like to have a big snake in my belly...he didn't really like that analogy, but I couldn't think of anything any better.

This week was the first time strangers have commented on my belly. One girl even made a comment while I was wearing my winter coat! I have noticed over the course of the last few weeks, though, that when talking to a pregnant woman, people just say the first thing that comes to mind. For some reason, seeing a pregnant woman makes them lose control of their verbal filter. Some of the things that have been said to me recently: "So, did you get pregnant on purpose?" and "Erin's getting fat!" and "Are you sure there's just one in there?" and of course, the variations on "So, how much weight have you gained?" I'm sure there'll be many more to come! I know some women are offended by the comments, but really, they don't bother me...I just find it humorous.

These past couple of weeks, I've really been trying to be more diligent about my exercise. I know that it's important to exercise during pregnancy, but it's been hard for me in a lot of ways. When I found out I was pregnant for the first time (January 2010), I immediately stopped exercising because I was terrified that it would cause me to have a miscarriage. I had one anyway. During my first trimester with this pregnancy, I had the same fears about miscarriage, but I tried to push through it and walk on the treadmill. I did okay, but I wasn't very diligent. Once I made it into the second trimester and I could feel the baby move, I felt a lot more confident, so I went back to walking on the treadmill. Over the last couple of weeks, it's gotten really boring, and it's kind of hard for both David and I to get our exercise in on the treadmill after work. Luckily, I was able to find a couple of prenatal exercise DVDs at our local library, and they've been great! My favorite of the two is Erin O'Brien's Prenatal Fitness Fix. It's a nice low-key aerobic workout with strength training. I really enjoy strength training, so this is right up my alley. I like Erin O'Brien's style; she's very conversational, and she's funny, too. There's also a hokey 20-minute partner exercise that David with me. The other DVD is Leisa Hart's Fit Mama Workout. I don't really enjoy it, but it does break up the monotony of the treadmill. The first half of the DVD is a salsa dance routine, which might be good if you enjoy dancing, but I don't. The other half is a "Yoga Burn" workout. It's okay, but it's very monotonous. I think the thing I dislike the most is Leisa herself. If she would talk about half as much, we could get the workout done in half the time! I think the best thing about these two prenatal exercise DVDs is that they've helped me to know what's an appropriate level of exertion for a pregnant woman. About 2 years ago, I lost about 25 pounds through exercise and Weight Watchers. I exercised quite a bit to aerobic/kickboxing DVDs and through running. It was pretty strenuous exercise, and I really pushed myself. It's been hard for me to back off on the level of exertion, but I'm getting there. I also have to remind myself that I'm not exercising to lose weight anymore, I'm exercising to stay healthy and active. After using these DVDs, I feel like I'm better able to modify my old DVDs so that I can use them now. In fact, I did one of my favorite Turbo Jam videos, and I think I did a good job of staying in the appropriate range of exertion!
I had another doctor's appointment today, and things went well. It's was a very uneventful, quick appointment. The same old PIAC routine, followed by a doppler check (heartbeat sounds great!) and a belly measurement. Dr. Basham says everything is looking good! I go back in a month, and at that appointment I have my glucose tolerance test. My orange drink is in the fridge waiting for March 3rd. Keep growing, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...