- Once admitted tot he hospital, we would like a heparine or saline lock. We prefer to stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of an IV for as long as possible. (Dr. Basham amended the birth plan to say that I could not have fluids by mouth during labor...that was the only change she made.)
- As long as baby and mom are doing fine, we'd like to request intermittent, rather than continuous fetal monitoring. Maintaining mobility (walking, rocking, up to bathroom, etc.) will be essential to coping with the labor without pain medication.
- Please do not offer pain medications. We plan on using a variety of alternative techniques, including squatting, use of a birth ball, warm shower, relaxation, freedom of movement, and others as needed. We will request pain medication should it become necessary.
- If possible, we would like to be assigned a nurse who enjoys working with women who desire to have a natural, unmedicated childbirth.
Second Stage of Labor:
- We would like the pushing stage to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits, as long as there are no serious concerns. We would like to wait to push until Erin feels the urge to do so.
- Episiotomy: We would like to discuss the options before an incision is made, and we would appreciate assistance with pushing so that the perineum can stretch.
- We would like a squatting/birth bar available if possible.
Third Stage of Labor:
- We would like to delay clamping of the umbilical cord until it stops pulsating.
- We prefer that the baby be given to us immediately after birth, putting of any procedures that aren't urgent.
- We would like to try breastfeeding within the first hour after birth, and plan to breastfeed exclusively. No other supplements (bottles, pacifiers, etc.) should be given.
- We prefer minimal separation of mother and baby. We would like baby to "room in" with us 24/7, with baby only taken to the nursery when absolutely necessary.
- If the baby must be taken away to receive medical treatment, one of us would like to accompany the baby at all times.